Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Divided Household ...

So let me tell you about a discovery I made a while back. I used to love, love, love peanut butter (mostly just with bread, I don't put in on everything or anything crazy like that). Then, since I was eating it almost every day (on a whole wheat bagel for breakfast!) I started worrying about the fact that it contains partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (whatever that is). So I tried this stuff called soybean butter I found at Trader Joe's. I don't remember whether I liked it right at first, but now I love it and the funny thing is I can't stand regular peanut butter!

So that brings us to the inspiration for this post. I made peanut/soy butter and jelly sandwiches for Joe and me to bring to school today and somehow got them switched in our lunches. Can I just say ... what a way to ruin a day. My sandwich was totally nasty - way too much peanut butter and jelly (Joe likes it that way). But it was a long day at school so I ate it anyway. Joe's was worse for him, I think. And I quote: "So disgusting. I don't know how you eat that crap, especially when you won't eat other things that are good."

Anyway, there's my post to my friend soybean butter (I usually just call it peanut butter but Joe knows what I mean). I am assuming it is a little healthier than peanut butter since it has less fat and no partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. It is a little more expensive but at a few dollars a jar I think we can still afford it. ;)

6 comments:

Joe, D.D.S. said...

Trust me, it's gross! Or you can go try it out for yourself at Trader Joe's. If only Lindsey could learn how to lie to herself about how scary spiders are!

AJ said...

I thought this was just going to be about smooth vs. crunchy. This is even better!

As for me and my house, we choose crunchy.

Nate and Lori said...

Hilarious! We have had many the argument over pranut butter as well. Nate's mom always bought Jif growing up and it took me 3.6 years of marriage to finally figure that out. I would go to the grocery store and stand there and think really hard about which one he had said he liked...and then I would be sure that it was Skippy! I've finally gotten it down! Remember: Choosy moms choose Jiff!!! (nate actually says that slogan to me eo help me remember.

The Skinners said...

Lindsey,

You are so cute! What a funny story. Thanks for your post by the way.

Love,

Hannah

Kirsten Krason said...

So cute. I don't know if I could eat that. Josh pretty much won't eat anything that isn't original. So no low-fat, non-fat, sugar free, and definitely not soy! But maybe I'll buy this so we can start acquiring the taste.

Becky said...

I'm a huge PB fan myself. I'm not picky about the brand as long as it's creamy. I've got to at least try this Trader Joe's stuff. Lindsay, I hope you aren't leading me astray....