Thursday, January 24, 2008

MLK Day: Painting the Basement

We thought about going out to do something "fun" for our Monday holiday, but it was pretty much freezing outside so we didn't really pursue the idea. We decided to stay home and paint our basement instead! We've been in our house 2 1/2 years now and we painted quite a bit at the beginning (green kitchen, soft yellow front room, blue, brown, and cream bedroom, etc.). Lately we haven't done much of anything, but we have LOTS of projects we'd like to do. It was nice to get a small one behind us!
Here is the messy basement while the painting was in progress. Right now our basement is pretty much just an exercise area. Here you can see my beautiful treadmill (one of my most favorite possessions)! We also have a weight set Joe found on Craig's list.
Here is Joe - always the happy painter. He did all of the rolling and painted the baseboards. I did the edging. A day or so earlier I told him I didn't like that shirt he is wearing very much. By the end of the day, it was covered in paint. I guess now it's his painting shirt!
Edging is a very tough and important job! Lots of concentration!
Here is the final result. Yes, we know the paint color doesn't match the carpet. Don't worry - the carpet is going to go! The paint color is kind of hard to see but it looks good, I promise.

At the end of the day we decided it had been a good day. It is always nice to accomplish something tangible. Plus we got to hang out with each other all day while we were painting! We also listened to my iPod music on the iPod speaker I got for Christmas, which made painting a lot more fun. I love my new speaker! After we finished we went out to Macaroni Grill with Lori and Nate - yum! Then we went home and did some studying.

6 comments:

Christie said...

I think the basement looks great! Good work you two. I'll be there in just about a month!

Nate and Lori said...

Hooray for one more project accomplished. I think the last project that you did was your dresser when we were here back in May. What would you guys do without us??? J/K. It looks great!

P.S. I hate doing the edging, but thats what I always get stuck with too!

Liz said...

I think it looks great. I love the color. Great job! Now I need ideas for my girls rooms.

Joe, D.D.S. said...

I think you need to give me credit for edging the top. Look how perfect it is. And I taped the whole entire thing, scrubed the baseboards before painting them. Not that it's a competition.

Lindsey, J.D. said...

Whoa. Okay then. Sorry everyone, in case it wasn't clear, Joe did way more work than I did. Joe is the best!!!

The Skinners said...

It looks awesome! We need to get together.

Hannah