Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our Thanksgiving Getaway

We are still recovering from a completely fantastic Thanksgiving weekend! We spent 3 days in a cozy cabin in the middle of a winter wonderland with great friends, plenty of delicious food, and non-stop laughs and entertainment. The cabin is in Western Maryland near Deep Creek Lake and is basically brand-new! It was awesome. I am so glad Hannah found the cabin and organized it all ... this was one of the few holiday weekends since we've been in Md. that I haven't spent studying, and I'm grateful we had the chance to spend it with great friends who will be moving away soon.

10 people cooking Thanksgiving dinner in one small kitchen was a little crazy but somehow everything came together wonderfully. Jeremy did a great job on the turkey and the rest of us pitched in with the appetizers, mashed potatoes, yams, salads, rolls, and stuffing (Joe's specialty). Oh, and plenty of pies, of course! I think key lime may have been the hit.
Joe always is a great cook on Thanksgiving and this year was no exception!


We took a nice little walk in the snow which led to trouble when I started threatening Joe with a snowball.
But how could I not forgive a guy who belongs on the cover of GQ? So dang cute!
All in all it was a great 3 days. It was so much fun to spend time with the Skinners, Burnhams, Walkers, and Millers ... and we wished others could have been there as well! Favorite parts of the weekend were: playing games, laughing, and telling stories into the early morning hours, cooking and sharing delicious recipes, and hanging out in a new and beautiful place. The only not-so-good parts were: a terrifying episode involving wooden stairs, a nasty smell coming from the fridge, and not enough sleep. But thankfully we are all home safe and sound! Now it's back to real life and lots of studying until December 19th!

10 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

I am so glad you were able to get away for a few days and leave the studying behind! Thatta girl!!

Our Family said...

You guys always seem to have so much fun!! I'm glad you could celebrate with fam & friends without coming home. And Joe... maybe D.C. will be next. Still no word from USPTO.

Bloom Family said...

What a fun weekend! And somehow I missed that you guys had gone to "So You Think You Can Dance." That's awesome! They are definitely fun to watch!

Sheryl said...

I am sure that was a needed bread from the books. You will be finished so soon! That is such a great idea to get away to a cabin--fun, fun, fun.

Brett and Shireen Olsen said...

What an awesome weekend getaway! What's the wooden stairs story - I must hear it! Love the photos and glad you had such a nice holiday!

Kirsten Krason said...

I love cabins and that one looks so cute!

Karen said...

So good to see you and I love the comment on our blog - my kids are getting old!! Brenn is 18- that still gives Ken a heart attack every now and then. Looks like you both are doing well! Lake Powell is our favorite too!

Love,
Karen

Nate and Lori said...

You make it sound so much more fun than I did. I think that it is because you are an excellent writer and me, not so much. Now I;m also wondering what I did to Shireen. She left a comment on yours and not on mine. RUDE!

Nate and Lori said...

But I got one form your mom and you didn't. SO there!

The Long Family said...

Looks like a blast - the cabin is beautiful!! Glad you had such a good time!