I told you a few posts ago that Joe likes apple pie ... however he did not get an apple pie or even a cake this birthday (or cinnamon rolls like last year). But don't feel bad for him. What he did get was a caramel apple party! In this picture you can get an idea for how it works - the shiny apples, melted caramel, crushed m&m's, oreos, and heath bar, and melted chocolate. Yummm.

Joe was a great sport and helped me out a lot with his own "party." Even though it was a small group it was still kind of crazy since I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing. Although the milk chocolate melted up fine (by holding a plastic bag of choc. chips suspended in a pot of boiling water) we couldn't get the white chocolate to melt right. Why is that??

You really can't mess up a homemade caramel apple ... although some people's apples turned out "prettier" than others.

Nate did quite well decorating with a kid on his arm. Impressive.

After decorating, we stuck the apples in the freezer for a couple minutes for the caramel to set up.

The result was completely declious! The tart apple and all the sweet stuff on the outside is a combination you just can't beat. Soooo good!!

And here is a picture of the cute little gourd vases I made. Darling! But don't try it unless you have a hacksaw handy ... those gourds are insanely hard to cut.
7 comments:
I love the gourd vases - what a cute idea! And the caramel apple party? Genius. Happy birthday Joe!
Fun....definitely one of my favorite foods. Hey, I saw glimpses of that new kitchen....doing any 'before' and 'afters' any time soon?
What a great idea! I love it! What a good wife you are!
Uh, you forgot the cute invitations? J/K. Ok, not really. It was a fantastic party and I'm wondering why we don't eat carmel apples more often. Probably because we are never allowed to eat sugar. Anyways...I need to get the pics from you to do my own blog post. E-mail them.
What a good idea! Looks like fun you guys, hope you had a fun birthday Joe! And, VERY cute vases Lindsey!
Sounds Yummy! And that centerpiece is adorable! I do love the new car.. that is so much fun, I am happy for you two, now there is room for baby!
THe reason the white chocolate doesn't melt as easily is that it contains Hydrogenated oil, as it isn't really a chocolate...it's a chemical substance mixed with sugar that's CALLED chocolate...but there isn't actually any cocoa in it. Anyway, hydrogenated oils don't break down as easily, so it doesn't melt as easily...forgot to mention that....
Love your blog!
Hang in there, you sound NUTS!
Maria
Post a Comment