Sunday, November 9, 2008

Birthdays are Delicious Part II

Last weekend Joe got his birthday dessert (caramel apples!) but unfortunately I did not have time to make him his birthday dinner. Unthinkable, I know. But we both had a busy few days so he understood. And today I made up for it by attempting to replicate one of our very favorite foods - Cafe Rio Pork Salad! I know a lot of you out there may already make it but it was my first time. Fortunately it turned out amazing!! We were both so happy to realize we don't have to wait a whole year to have something close to the Cafe Rio experience. Given the time and $$ involved in making everything I think it would be more economical just to hit up the restaurant ... but since that isn't an option I plan to continue perfecting my speed and technique on the homemade version.

P.S. Joe's 28th birthday is now officially OVER.

8 comments:

Joe, D.D.S. said...

Now you see why I like Lindsey so much. I've never had the amount of attention she gives me. Thanks Linds

Clark and Liesel said...

Thats awesome! Hooray for copying your favorite restaurant recipes to enjoy in your own home! What a great wife you are!

Nate and Lori said...

And its so easy to guess which one is Nates...basically the boring looking one.

The dinner was fabulous for the record...quite possibly that tastiest thing I have eaten in months.

Burnhams said...

Yum Yum Yum Yum. It's midnight but this picture makes me think I am starving. I better go to bed before I come over and raid the leftovers in your fridge.

Joe, D.D.S. said...

Hooray for leftovers! Yum Yum Yum Yum

Dan said...

I love the new blogs. I know its kinda late but I just about died laughing at the 28 birthday things. Especially the one about joe almost being named pedro. In honor of you two I have decided to go to cafe rio this afternoon and fill up on deliciousness. I miss you all heaps. To show how much I will make it my personal responsibility to eat all of the food you guys would have eaten during thanksgiving had you been at home. The things I do to show my love. oh and by the way, thanks for the comment on my facebook that almost scared off the girl I like. :)

AJ said...

Awesome job on the salads. Happy birthday Joe. Congratulations again on the residency.

Sheryl said...

We've done the salads too. I think it's easier (and more economic) if we do them in a group. So, one of these cold winter days (you know January/February) we'll divide up the items and get together at our place for Cafe Rio. How does that sound? Happy birthday to Joe!