It's been quite an ordeal (really, a surprisingly big ordeal), but I finally have both the seasonal and H1N1 flu vaccinations. I know, I know ... it seems like people are making way too big a deal out of the "swine" and all that. It's just the flu, after all! But all I can say is that when you're pregnant, you start seeing things from a different angle and pay a lot closer attention to all the possible complications and dangers to you and your baby. And, since the fierce parental instinct to do anything you can to protect your baby has long since set in, it's not a matter of what you're going to do, but how you're going to get it done!Getting the H1N1 vaccination in Maryland has been tough. Joe lucked out and got his a couple weeks ago ... he happened to be doing his ER rotation when the VA vaccinated its ER workers. When the announcement was made, he was the second person in line, and after saying he had a pregnant wife at home, the needle went right in. Then we had to find one for me. Two Saturdays ago we left the house at 7 a.m. to get in a line for vaccinations which would begin at 10. Sadly, we got there around 7:30 only to turn back around - the line was already over a quarter mile long, and with guests at home we couldn't really stand the thought of waiting in the rain for 5 hours with the possibility of going home antibody-less.
So we kept at it. I made numerous calls to my OBGYN and regular doctor with no luck. Then I figured out how to get on the county list for appointment-only vaccinations. When some clinics opened up a few days ago, I called about 60 times before getting through and then kept my phone within inches of me for an entire day waiting for a return call to set up an appointment. (Actually - I made the mistake of missing the first call because I was in a meeting and had to repeat the calling process to get back on the list, so I made sure not to miss it again! My goodness!)
Anyway, now that I'm vaccinated I feel a tiny bit more at ease, but I know it doesn't provide comprehensive protection by any means. Almost every day I feel so utterly exhausted, out of it, and not like myself that I think I must be coming down with something (riding the metro with all kinds of crazy people just adds to my anxiety). So far, though, I've always woken up feeling better the next morning. We'll hope it keeps up. Try to help me out by staying away from me if you're sick. We have to keep our baby growing healthy and strong for 74 more days!!


5 comments:
so where did you finally get it? i was talking with some people about it the other day, but no one knew where to get it.
Only 74 more days!!!! Ahhh! That is going to fly by! I got your message tonight, but its kind of too late to call you, so I will call tomorrow. Good for you, getting your H1N1. All I can say is be glad your boy is still in the belly cause waiting in line for three hours with two screaming kids, trying to nurse Blake and contain Parker at the same time was a joke. But hey, we got it, so stay away swine flu!
That is so crazy that you had to go through so much to get the shot. But I am happy you got it!! It's amazing the things we go through for our babies, isn't it? I can't believe you have 74 days to go! Wow! He will be here before you know it!
Okay--I have been feeling guilty (since Halloween) that we brought our sickies to your house. Joe played with them and took pics for us and I was just praying that you two would not get sick from our encounter. I am really so sorry about being that brainless.
The kids have had the H1N1 and the flu vaccines and Ian got the flu vaccine. ME, not vaccines yet--so I want to know the number you called to get an appointment. Funny thing is--everyone has been sick but me? Who knows. Sorry again.
Thanks for the link on Sheryl's blog. I followed it, and Caleb and I have appointments tomorrow.
Just wait for your little one to be out, and then every time some one coughs or sneezes around him, you will look at them like, "what the heck are you doing? You're going to kill my child ... get away." okay, maybe not that extreme, but I was very cautious. The sad thing is, no one wants to miss church so everyone still comes ... sick or not.
Oh well! What can you do.
Post a Comment