Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration 2009

[By the way, this post is from Joe...]


I didn't vote for Barack Obama, but I am proud to be an American and respect the democracy that we live in. Therefore, instead of talking negatively about what a train wreck is going to occur, or being critical of a huge inauguration celebration to crown a new king in the wake of an economic depression, or saying how something bad has happened to the country like I've heard others say in recent weeks, I will give my support to our new president and remain optimistic that the changes he promises will make this country stronger and help rescue it from struggles that we find ourselves in. Certainly, I am worried about what may happen in the next few years, but at this point I feel like it is my duty to support the new president. Many republicans are already so anti-Obama before he's even spent an entire day in the white house. How much different is this than all the now anti-Bush people who forgot they voted for him twice, forgot they were among the majority in supporting the war in Iraq, blame him for all of todays economic troubles, and now desire to accuse him of criminal action?


But now to the reason for this blog. Today is an historic day with an African-American becoming president of the United States. It hasn't been very many decades since African-Americans were segregated and oppressed. Most African-Americans never dreamed of this day, and living in Baltimore I've been able to see how much this means to many people. You can understand that they have great reason to celebrate. Mormons would have celebrated had Mitt Romney won the nomination, and although perhaps the nation isn't and never will be ready for a Mormon president, I am proud that Americans were ready for a black president. Even with this monumental step, racial tension is still very strong today. I sometimes question from what direction the tension comes. It seems that some don't really want improvement and continue to be play the victim, i.e. Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Reverend Wright, and my new guy today Joseph Lowery. He's the guy that gave the inauguration benediction today. All four of these men are religious ministers, presumed men of God who are supposed to bring peace and love to earth. Here is portion of Joseph Lowery's prayer today:


"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfxtnvvyYp8

I know he was trying to be cute and funny, but how is this acceptable? This is a down right racist comment in a prayer on a day when America was supposed to be taking a huge step forward showing that color of skin wouldn't limit a person from becoming president. In my opinion, racism is only fueled by these words. Praying for a day when white will embrace what is right? Praying for a day when black will not be asked to get back? Since when has that happened? Yellow to be mellow? Yellow as in Asian? He just put people in five different groups based on the color of their skin. Not the best start to what is supposed to finally help put racism to rest and allow us to live as people unified in cause. God bless this nation.

12 comments:

AJ said...

Hmm, I watched the inauguration and heard the prayer. I heard the end and decided not to say "Amen" after that last part. Overall, I thought Pres. Obama's speech was good. It was interesting to hear Hannity's take on it about how awful and gloomy it was. That was a little extreme for me. Good post Joe, I can say "Amen" to yours!

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly Joe.... I couldn't have said it better myself!

Nate and Lori said...

Joe, I didn't know you had it in you to be like this. I got so sick of watching the inauguration channel at work because they kept talking about how black people were worried that maybe Obama was not going to be black enough for them. And I'm thinking, wait, aren't we not supposed to care whether someone is white or black? I don't get it. I sure hope that the next 4 years turn out ok.

Christie said...

Good post Joe. I'm impressed that Obama is behaving himself admirably, and not focusing ...now if only others would follow his lead. It seemed that many pundits were 'disappointed' in his speech, but I was impressed because he didn't try and go over the top and have the speech just point fingers at "WOW, aren't I terrific!". I'm interested to see if those who currently feel so empowered by him continue to act responsibly in that direction.

bbcurfew said...

Funny how this whole election wasn't supposed to be about race, etc, but certain people are sure MAKING it about race. (We live in downtown Louisville right now and on election night, there were people in the streets shouting 'a black man is the President!!' until 2am). But hey, at least a lot of people in our nation got off their butts to vote for the first time in their lives, right? Yeah, that prayer was kinda crazy. I have come across many people in my life who don't want to "give back" because of the color of their skin. I get pretty fired up about this because since my husband is a white, upper class male, he got to apply to dental school twice (and had great stats the first time through). He has some people in his class who definitely didn't EARN their right to be there. But hey, that's life nowadays, right? I know we have a lot in our history to apologize about, but I think many people think we OWE them everything. When will it ever end?

Anonymous said...

Nice post Joe. You are a better person than I am to have such a positive attitude. I'm still struggling with that. If it was his 2nd term right now, I could leave it alone, but I'm already concerned about his being re-elected in 2012. Why? Because I feel like even if it seems like he did a good job during his first term, we will never really know the truth because the media will cover up everything he did wrong and make everything he did seem amazing (like they did during the election). I don't trust him. I question his motives. If we can't tell if he is a good president by what the media says, then how can we? By looking at his life and what he has done in the past. He has chosen so many bad influences as friends in his life, how could none of those ideas rub off on him? We saw another example of a friend of Obama by the racist guy who gave the closing prayer. And Obama is just as much Caucasian as he is African-American. So I guess half of Obama needs to start to "embrace what is right." Also, being excited about someone of your same religion winning an election is much different than being excited about someone of the same race. Religion and politics have many overlapping areas because they are about ideas, values, morals. Race and politics are not related at all. To learn more about the true Obama (and not the pretty version that CNN will tell you), read The Obama Nation.

Joe, D.D.S. said...

Looks like we are getting some spice here!

AJ said...

Anonymity is for the weak. ;)

Paul said...

Wait, was anonymous trying to make a point or form coherent arguments?

Ryan said...

I don't know about you all, but to me it sounds like this Mr. Anonymous guy has his head screwed on right. Agreed?

Kirsten Krason said...

The prayer was sad. Kinda ruined the unity of the day.

ginadastrup said...

I hope it's not too late too respond.

I too agree that the prayer given at the end only pointed out that there still remained racism in the giver's mind. It is time to let it go and it's time to realize that we are all created equal. It might take one or more generations to die before there is a chance of a more open minded society.

I did not vote for Obama. I do not agree with many of his views. However, I will support him and pray for him. Why would we want to shoot ourselves in the foot by wishing for his failure. On the contrary, we better pray for him and hope for OUR success.



I do not care what color or gender the President is as long as they do not have a private agenda. I love to see our politicians have a passion of representing what's best for the country of United States instead of what appears to be hidden agendas.