Friday, October 10, 2008

Our Car Situation

So we seem to have found ourselves in a bit of an unexpected predicament! A week and a half ago, our trusty '96 Honda Accord broke down at 2:00 in the morning while Joe was on the 695 on his way to pick up his family from the airport. Luckily, Nate & Lori were also on their way to the airport since we can't fit the fam in 1 car, and they helped push the car off the freeway. The next day, Nate's Xterra towed the car to a repair shop ... only for us to find out a couple days later that repairing our little Honda would be cost prohibitive based on what the car is worth. Whoa! We knew we needed to buy a second car next year when we graduated, but weren't exactly prepared to purchase a replacement vehicle at a moment's notice.

To complicate things a little more, Joe left for his dental school externship in Mexico City the next day (although we are grateful the car didn't break on me a few days later while I was here all alone!). Now that the Honda has been successfully towed back to its parking spot, this is what it looks like in front of our house: To the right, the worthless Honda Accord. And to the left: the LIFESAVER car I borrowed from Jeremy Skinner! (He went on the same externship so he wasn't going to need it for a couple weeks.) The 88 Acura is a "metro car" and can't be driven much further without completely overheating and scaring you to death! The warning lights start going on one by one as soon as you turn the car on, but hey, it works! So far I haven't had problems getting it started so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am so grateful to have a car to get me to and from the metro while Joe is gone because walking just doesn't sound like fun. Thank you so much Jeremy and Hannah!

Anyway, here I am at home without Joe wondering what car we are going to buy when he gets back. It can't exactly be a leisurely process because you can only bum rides for so long, especially with our schedules which are all over the place. I told Joe I'd do some research and figure out what I liked, but it's really not much fun. It would be fun if he were here. HE is the one who looks at cars on ebay 4 times a week - although usually at luxury cars that we can't afford just yet (or ever).

So what to do? I can definitely say that I'm not going to miss this paint job ... (for some reason our car starting getting a whole lot worse-looking after we moved to Md.)

But even though the 88 Acura still drives, I'm afraid this paint job isn't any better.

So wish us luck on figuring out what to do. And wish me luck getting through another week without Joe. 6 days down and 8 to go. This is the longest we've been apart since being married and I really hate it. I miss my hubbie ... plus the fact that we haven't even had a phone call yet (except for a 60 second one the day after he left) has been kind of a bummer. We have gotten to chat online a couple of times so that has been great.

So PLEASE Joe, come home SOON and buy me a CAR!! :) Thank you dearest.

8 comments:

Brett and Shireen Olsen said...

Good luck with car shopping, we are looking right now as well and it's tough! And being home alone stinks! I hope Joe brings you some awesome gifts from his trip, like a poncho and perhaps a really cool sombrero. And some really cheap vanilla. And maybe some cigars.

Nate and Lori said...

Why don't you just durprise Joe by getting a Lexus on your own? I'm sure he would be so happy!

Sorry that I've been a lame SIL and haven't even had you up for dinner while Joe's been gone. This next week will be better.

Andrew and Tara Judd said...

If you ever need a ride or need to borrow a car to go a little further than the metro, just let us know. We have two and seeing that I'm not working and Andrew's car sits at the metro station all morning, we'd be happy to help. Hope the rest of the time without Joe goes quickly for you!

adrienne and ryan said...

The good news is...you get a new car! After all of the stress it's still fun to get to upgrade!

Tristina said...

Oh no!!

Let us know if you need any help with rides or anything!

AJ said...

Buy used. Yeah, yeah, I know we bought our van new a few years ago and don't regret it one bit, but I've since had a financial change of heart about buying used. Good luck with your search.

Parkinson Family said...

Oh my goodness! Scary! I would have no idea what to do if my car suddenly stopped on the 695. I'm glad it was Joe driving! Good luck with choosing a new set of wheels! We love Hondas!

Clark and Liesel said...

I am glad that you are surving without Joe. Being alone is the worst. And good luck with the car search- I leave all things that have to do with the car up to Clark. Let me know if you need a ride anywhere- afterall we do just live around the corner!