Sunday, May 11, 2008

Back from the Dead

No, I did not die!!! Maybe after Joe's post, you can start to appreciate that this, in and of itself, is something to be quite pleased about. I am still here and while the bright light hurt my eyes at first it does feel good to be out of my cave. I had my last final on Thursday, turned in my big paper late Friday night, and then . . . . basically collapsed. It feels so weird to be thinking and doing anything besides school! It's so great. Basically, my mind has already started to repress the memory of what these last few weeks have been like. That is my 'coping mechanism,' and it's what keeps me going back for more! I am actually really good at remembering the good and partly blocking out the bad. Yes, I will always remember that I worked harder in law school than I thought it was possible to do. But when I look back, instead of focusing on all the stress-filled sleepless nights, I will mostly think of how much I learned, the great classes I got to take, and the great professors I had. (Not all of my classes and professors have been amazing, but I will remember the amazing ones!) It really fun to think about how much I have accomplished. I can definitely say that law school has not been a waste of my time because I have been pushed to my limit and learned a lot along the way. Anyway, thank you everyone for all your support! It means a lot to know I have family and friends who care so much about how I'm doing! I couldn't have made it without you.

So . . . tomorrow morning I will start my job as a summer associate at DLA Piper! That feels pretty crazy because I have been so overwhelmed with school I haven't even had a chance to think about work yet! But I am definitely looking forward to the change of pace. Being a summer associate presents a different kind of stress, but it is also fun. I'll fill you in more on that once I actually get started.

Anyway . . . I just wanted to make this post and prove that I had come back to life. Yesterday we just took the day to have fun. We went to lunch, went shopping (I had to buy some black heels for work since last summer I wore down my heels way past repair). Lori and I also had to find something to wear for the wedding (Joe's sister Franchesca) next weekend (we happened to find matching black dresses - won't we be cute!). The next part of the celebration day was this:

FUNNEL CAKE. If any of you have been driving by the little ice cream place on Liberty Road on the way to Eldersburg and wondering about it, well THIS is what you are missing out on! The funnel cake ice cream sundae. It is huge and it is sugary but it is a fun treat to share. Joe and I got vanilla ice cream with cookie dough and hot fudge. It was worth every bite! I hadn't eaten sweets for a couple months so this was quite the way to jump back in.
Joe is happy to have me back! He is a trooper and we are looking forward to a fun summer.
Joe also had tons of fun playing with our friend little Avary. Aren't they adorable? Avary is so cute and so happy, and we love her!
Learning to walk! Almost there, Avary!

Well, it is good to be back, people!! Happy Mother's Day, Mom!!

10 comments:

Joe, D.D.S. said...

Welcome back. It's nice to have a wife again.

Nate and Lori said...

I am so glad to have you back...and I can't wait for all of the fun things we are going to do this summer. First on the list...finish that recipe book!

Becky said...

I don't know how you do it Lindsay. That sounds like H-E-double hockey sticks to me. But your ability to forget the bad stuff and remember the good will definitely come in handy for future pregnancies. :) Good luck on your first day of work tomorrow!

Parkinson Family said...

Congrats on finishing the year! I hope you enjoy your summer experience!

Christie said...

Welcome back Lindsey! I hope over the summer you stretch in the other direction, and make every summer evening and weekend count...for there is so much joy to be found around every corner. Love you both! MOM

AJ said...

Welcome back. We've only tried a plain funnel cake from that place. Have to go with the sundae next time.

Tristina said...

Yay! Congrats Lindsey! Now we will have to hang out before my life gets taken over by a little boy named Caelan!

Liz said...

So glad to hear you made it through! Hope the new job goes good and congrats!

James and Amy said...

Good luck with the new job! A change of pace is always very nice. You only have one year left of school, and then that's it! I miss school now actually (although not law school). That feeling of really working hard, using every minute of your day to study as much as possible. I guess I have blocked from my memory, like you, the really bad parts, but it's so worth it in the end. So although stressful, enjoy your last year for me while I am done with school for now.

Kirsten Krason said...

Welcome back!! Way to go with school!! It is great to know you have pushed yourself the whole time and that it was worth every moment. Way to go!