Yes, that's me, on the couch. Yes, that's Lori with a mask, glasses, and sharp instruments. And yes, that's Joe standing by with a flashlight to assist. I like to call it "Family Dental, Inc." These pictures are actually from a month or so ago (luckily it is close enough to spring that we're not buddled up in bulkly sweatshirts anymore). Anyway, one night I freaked out because I saw calculus on my back molar. I had never noticed having calculus before - maybe because I used to go to the dentist regularly - and I was terrified of it. So the next Sunday when Lori came over, I slipped my frightening experience into the conversation (not hard - I'm outnumbered 3:1 when it comes to dental people so the conversation often heads in that direction). Immediately, we whipped out Joe's instruments, and Joe and Nate prepared to learn from the best.
Lori really knows what she's doing. She had all the calculus scraped off in no time - whew! She said my mouth was one of the best she's seen since starting work here in Maryland - apparently some people don't freak out when they see calculus taking over their mouth! It was so fun(ny) to watch Joe and Nate analyze and try to soak in what she was doing. (They may do a lot of fillings and crowns, but apparently the hygienists at the school don't know what's up.) Thanks, Lori, what would I do without you??? (Neither Joe nor I are ready to have him work on my mouth just yet .... not that he doesn't do a good job, but because we tried it once at home and I starting whining when he "hurt my cheek.")


15 comments:
Those are VERY FUNNY pictures! And here I thought Calculus was your high school boyfriend....I thought the stuff in your mouth was plaque! Shows what I know. Good to know you are well taken care of and tell Joe that if he needs me to develop a stage 2 for his boards, I'll need to start sleeping with Skittles in my mouth. Anyone out there want to sit for Joe's boards next year?
For some ladies it's spiders or mice, for others it's calculus.
I am embarrassed to say I do not even know what calculus is. Besides the math version. I most likely have it all over my mouth. Don't look.
Lindsey! You are so funny, I love the pictures! I miss you!!! That is so awesome that you can get your teeth cleaned in the comfort of your own home ;) How is school going? Your blog template is super cute. I hope you are doing well!
Lovin that you posted the pictures! Too bad its not totally illegal for me to start up a shop from homw, because you know I'd alreayd be doing it.
Now for the dental lesson...
Calulus is commonly known as tartar. It is basically old plaque that becomes calcified from the calcium in your saliva. Once that happens, it will not come off unless it is scraped off from your cute, neighborhood hygienist.
Everybody gets it...thats just why you go to the dentist every 6 months.
(Stepping off of my soap box).
Yes, go to the dentist every 6 months, eat lots of candy in between visits, drink two sodas a day, chew on ice and jaw breakers, never floss, and bring money.
Isn't it funny how our husbands are going to be dentists yet we don't quite see a "real" dentist regularly? I saw my family dentist faithfully every 6 months until I got married...and haven't seen a dentist since. Yikes.
Hey- What do you think about hanging out tomorrow night. We'll call it "Family Date Night" in honor of D & S...
I love the pics! We definitely laughed ... pretty convenient to have a great hygienist for a sister-in-law
all babies look alike. and we're thinking of going private...
I loved these comments...especially Joe's....and I appreciate the calculus lesson from Lori. Thanks L!
I love the photos Linds! That is awesome! I have the same problem (freak out about calculus that is). And Nate has also cleaned my teeth on the couch at home! Isn't this what makes dental school life so great?
This blog needs more entries! Joe needs to pick up the slack while Lindsey is busy going nuts with finals.
Lindsay are you still alive? I don't think I've even see you since this post entry. Good luck with finals!!!!
That is hilarious because I have done this many many times! Glad to know there are other crazy dental people out there willing to get their teeth cleaned on couches. Very nice- hope is wasn't too bloody. =)
Post a Comment