Sunday, June 12, 2011

Garden of the Gods

Yesterday we drove an hour to visit Garden of the Gods. It was a perfect little less-than-half day trip. We drove through lightning and pouring rain but when we got there it was absolutely gorgeous.

There was a nice mile and a half walk to go on where we could take the stroller. We got Max to sit in it for a good part of our walk by feeding him pretzels every couple of minutes. Then it was time to get out and play!






Future rock climber.
"Arms up!"
About to slide ...
Then I got a few cute pictures of Max playing by the fence. He decided to take some rocks and line them up. This is what Max looks like when he's talking to you - he likes to talk with his hands.
For some reason he decided to fold his arms. Maybe he was saying a prayer.
He had to taste each rock before he put it in the line.
This was our view leaving the park. Apparently there are lots more cool things to see (like waterfalls!), but we made it a quick trip. Not sure how we would have gotten to the waterfalls with Max, anyway. Earlier this spring, we bought a sweet hiking backpack to carry Max as well as a 12 month pass to be able to hike in all the parks. Well, a couple months ago we tried that out and he screamed almost the whole time he was in it. He just couldn't stand not being able to run around and do what HE wanted to do. Luckily we got our money for the pass back. :) Hopefully we'll give it another try ... but until then we have lots of fun things to do here to keep us busy! Maybe next will be the zoo.

9 comments:

Christie said...

I am so hoping that he keeps up the habit of talking with his hands (along with words, or course) because I think it is SO cute....and he reminds me so much of his mom with the lining up of objects, which was such a favorite pastime of hers!

Glad you took some time for a field trip. They are the BEST!

Clark and Liesel said...

How fun! I can't believe how big your little Max is getting! So cute that he lines things up. That looked like a really fun place to hike!

Lexie Lantz said...

Your pics are great... comment on the folding arms pic... If he's anything like my kids... he was saying a prayer cause it was time to eat.... :) he had the table all set and then it was time to eat... gotta pray! It's what my little girls would do anyway. :)

meesh said...

hahaha max's faces by the fence kill me! seriously, freakin adorable. and hilarious that he lines up the rocks and licks them. i miss that crazy kiddo!! and you guys too, of course :]

Nate and Lori said...

What a fun little day trip. And Im happy to see blog posts that aren't just max updates...although I enjoy those a lot, I like seeing what you guys are up to too.

I love that Max likes to lick the rocks. And I love that he wont sit in the hiking backpack. I dont think that Reese would go for that either.

adrienne and ryan said...

Hey, cool shirt Max! Cael has the same one. :) Call us when you get to Utah!

Katie Claire said...

I'm all for a future rock climber. Looks like fun!

Katie Claire said...

I'm all for a future rock climber! Looks like fun!

Sheryl said...

So fun!! Is Max going blond???? I love that he licked the rocks before lining them up. I was so sad we were only in Denver for like 14 hours, mostly sleeping--the other's spent with family. We will certainly come find you when we visit UT!!