My Dad is the fan of all BYU fans ... obviously that's where I get it from. So of course he and my mom decided to come to Denver for the 2nd and third round NCAA tournament games. We were just lucky that they were able to get enough tickets so we could go, too!
First game: Thursday night vs. Wofford. We were completely stoked and I was screaming and waving my poster before I even got to the arena. We screamed, we shouted, and we tried not to get too nasty with some not-so-pleasant Wofford fans in front of us. But it was all good cuz we beat them! I would have liked a bigger spread so we wouldn't have been so nervous the whole time, but other than that it was great. Most of all I just needed them to win so I could see Jimmer and the rest of the Cougs in person at the NCAAs one more time.

Saturday: second game vs. Gonzaga. Not gonna lie, we were scared. We saw part of the game where Gonzaga beat St. Johns on Thursday and they were huge and they could shoot and they just looked pretty dang good. We knew the team had to be at the top of their game to beat them, but we knew they could be.
On a side note, my parents had 3 really good seats behind the basket and 2 seats higher up, so Joe and I elected to share a seat and be a part of the action. It was awesome and definitely worth the sore tush from sitting on 1/10 of a seat. We liked to stand as much as we could anyway, but the people behind us probably didn't like that as much.
Oh, and another side note - didn't get to meet Jimmer, but at least I said hello to his brother TJ. My parents and sister have talked to him, though.
One of the posters right behind us that didn't make it on TV. Pretty clever. (Although I really liked the one saying 'Stockton is really here to see Jimmer.' Haha!)

The awesome thing about this game is that we SCHOOLED them. Jimmer went 7 for 12 for 3's (not just any 3's ... 28 footers over multiple defenders, and just gorgeous!) and scored 34 points. The rest of the team did amazing as well. Emery's steals = hot hot hot! We were still pretty nervous for most of the game, even though we mostly led by double digits all through the second half. But when Gonzaga fans started leaving around the 5 minute mark, we were feeling pretty confident and could finally start breathing again. We still kept screaming, though - the players completely deserved it.
The news reported that the arena was filled with mostly BYU fans - so not true. There were tons of Gonzaga fans, and it seemed to me like most of the neutral fans went with Gonzaga. Whatever. We still cheered louder! Probably because our team gave us something to cheer about. :)
The feeling after we won? So on top of the world. We came home and rewatched the game on DVR, much more relaxed and able to appreciate the beauty of it all.

Final score: BYU 89, Gonzaga 67. Heck yes!!
This morning when we were getting ready for church Joe said to me "It's hard to think about anything except BYU, huh?" And I was like "Totally! I was just thinking about them!" So funny, so true. Florida better watch out. We will be ready!! GO BYU, & GO #32!! Oh, and teach me how to Jimmer!



7 comments:
I'm sure when I tell Tyler that you guys were at the games, he's going to be jealous! He had to wake up at 2 AM to watch the games (at least AFN -armed forces network- showed the games live...). He also wishes that there was someone at church to gush over the games with....the Kenyans need to be taught how to "jimmer"
you crack me up... i love all this jimmer nonsense, but it makes me laugh. My dad and brother are obsessed. I can't say i am totally a "jimmer" fan, but I will try, for my friends and family... GO JIMMER!!! :-) Miss you lady!
Well I read the entire thing even though Im not a fan. But I do know what its like to be a huge sports fan so Im excited for you.
At this point I dont really have to learn anything about Jimmer because everytime I log into facebook, my page is plastered with BYU status reports. I know if they have a game, if they need to pick it up during halftime, if they won, and how many points Jimmer scored.
Such a fun time to share together! You are definitely your father's daughter!
Hahaha linds, I love you guys! Seriously, you're so cute. GO BYU!!! :]
Im totally in love with Jimmer! Wish we could have gone with you!
I know I am way behind on this post, but you haven't posted anything knew so I think I can still comment ;)
I love that you went!! That looks so fun. Ian would have died to go. Seriously, we were driving to and home from Florida during some of the games and Ian wanted to pull over and find a McDonald's with wifi so we could watch the game at like 10:00 at night. Seriously, with sleeping kids nonetheless. We listened to the games though and often made it to our hotel before half time so we could watch. It was a great season :) Miss you guys!!
Post a Comment