Our little Max-man turned 1 a few days ago. It is still kind of hard to believe. We are loving looking back at pictures and videos from when he was born and his first year of life and seeing how much he has changed, and how much he has stayed the same. He has always been our strong, determined little Max Attack. And always will be, I'm sure! He makes life so much fun, we just can't get enough of him. He's growing up much too fast, but what can we do???
We were lucky enough to have my parents drive into town the night before Max's b-day. He has been spoiled the past few days with constant attention, new toys, and the best playmates and book readers the little guy could ask for. He is having so much fun he won't even take his naps. Another perk was that my mom was here to help me throw Max a party! I have been busy trying (and usually failing) to study so aside from getting invitations out I didn't think about it much until the past few days. But we had a lot of fun putting it all together, and it turned out adorable. What better theme than "Where the Wild Things Are" for our Max?


We did an ocean cake with Max and his boat and a #1 on top, and Wild Thing cupcakes. They really were pretty easy to do, and lots of fun.



We had a spread of meatballs, chips and cowboy caviar, mango salsa, bread and spinach dip, goldfish, fruit salad, and 'forest' veggie cups.

We tied balloons and hung streamers to go with the jungle-ish theme.

And here's our handsome birthday boy!
Vati and Daddy teaching Max how to dunk the ball.
Max basically took zero naps all day so he definitely could have been in a better mood. But once his friends got there and things got going he had a great time. Here he is with friend Alec - Max liked taking off his hat and trying to put it back on. They are the cutest little buddies.
And with friend Grant - Max kept trying to steal his food. Basically he walked around from person to person looking for handouts (that's our little puppy for you).
We had a little contest putting together a Where the Wild Things Are puzzle - girls won. We also showed a little slideshow of pictures of Max that Joe put together.
Then Max got to open presents! His friends were so nice to bring him awesome new toys (& an adorable shirt!) He was too distracted by the first toy to really get into it - plus he's only 1.
Then it was cake time! I was so excited to watch Max shove sugar into his mouth like it was the best thing he'd ever tasted. Well, it didn't exactly happen like that.We all sang to him and he looked around and noticed everyone staring at him and smiling, and then he started clapping. So cute.
Max didn't really know what to do with the cake at first so I gave him a taste of frosting off my finger and then broke up some little pieces for him. He definitely seemed to like it for a little while.

But the fun faded fast. He was tired, tired, tired and just wasn't loving the sugar thing. I put some blueberries in the middle of all that frosting and he found and ate those instead.
But ... he cheered up when he started feeding Mom and Dad.

What a good little sharer.


Max didn't really know what to do with the cake at first so I gave him a taste of frosting off my finger and then broke up some little pieces for him. He definitely seemed to like it for a little while.
But the fun faded fast. He was tired, tired, tired and just wasn't loving the sugar thing. I put some blueberries in the middle of all that frosting and he found and ate those instead.
But ... he cheered up when he started feeding Mom and Dad.
What a good little sharer.

Once he couldn't take it anymore we cleaned him up in the bath, and then he got to run around in a half-buttoned shirt and play with his friends and toys until he crashed.

. . . with his dad and his bottle (yep, finally weaned!) If he doesn't sleep soundly tonight then something is definitely wrong



20 comments:
what a cute, cute birthday theme! love it! those cupcakes look awesome! happy birthday max! he's seriously a cute little guy!
What cute decor and food. I love it! Happy Birthday Max!
So glad I could be part of the wild rumpus...of course every day with Max is a bit of a wild rumpus! Love you MAX!
Oh my goodness...Im in love with the entire party...except of course the fact that we weren't invited. :) Loved the banner, loved the cake, loved the monster cupcakes, loved the cake stand, loved the delicious looking food, the cute veggie forest cups, the cute birthday boy and his cute mama.
Ok, seriously, one of the cutest birthdays ever. I love it all. Happy Birthday Max!
What an adorable birthday theme! Everything looks perfect! You are so creative.
I can't believe he's one!! I'm so glad you did the "where the wild things are" theme. Too cute! Max is absolutely adorable!!
So stinkn' cute. And the little boy in the book is named Max too!! Perfect. I was reading the book to my boys the other day I thought to myself, "humm I wonder if I could do a party with this theme". Your little Max is just to cute.
What a perfect little party! And happy birthday to your little man! (I'm going to steal your veggie cup idea for Illyana's party here in the next couple of weeks)Love it!!!
I can't believe that Maxi-Poo is already 1! That was one wild rumpus! Thanks for inviting us. You are so cute, all the decorations were adorable. You are one crafty lady :)
I can't believe that Maxi-Poo is already 1! That was one wild rumpus! Thanks for inviting us. You are so cute, all the decorations were adorable. You are one crafty lady :)
Oh my goodness, Linds! That is seriously the cutest party theme I've ever seen! It was decorated so cute! And your house is gorgeous! I love you guys!
Such a fun idea! It all turned out adorable. It is great your parents came out to celebrate too. It's always better with grandparents.
Max is 1!!!Happy Birthday bud! He is so cute. You made everything at the party so adorable!
Cael has those same monster jammies. What a cute party! It's so classy looking even though it was a Wild Thing theme. Happy Birtday Max!
Ditto everything Lori said. The party turned out so cute. You girls are really going to have to help me when I have kids. I'm so not crafty. Max is so cute, and he's getting big. Last year went super fast. We need to come and visit you guys in Denver.
Such a cute party! I love a good theme! All the details were darling, especially the cupcakes! How fun.
Wow the party was darling! How cute to do a "where the wild things are theme!" The cupcakes were too cute for words- Happy birthday to your cute Max!!
I loved the whole party idea!!! Max is such a cute kid and I miss you guys so much! Keep posting pictures and videos of the little stud.....I love it all!!!
oh my heck! are you serious. That was adorable. You have got to move here!!!
Post a Comment