Monday, December 28, 2009

Becoming an Esquire

I want to remember December 15, 2009 as the day I could finally call myself an attorney. Really! Me!! Finally! I can't really think of any other goal I have worked toward so hard and for so long. Here is a picture of me on an elementary school career day - my business cards read "Lindsey C. Lewis, Public Defender."
To earn the title (once I'd graduated and passed the bar), I had to drive to Annapolis on my appointed day and take an oath in front of the Judges of the Court of Appeals (the state's highest court). Sadly Joe couldn't take the day off of work so I was all alone (but I did have my big belly of boy for company!). I made sure I got someone to take a picture of me outside the Court of Appeals building so the day wouldn't be completely forgotten.
These days, I no longer want to be a public defender (yikes!). I want to be a tax attorney doing work for corporations, partnerships, LLCs, etc. Although I accepted an offer at a large firm to do just that, being "deferred" by the firm has made it so that I'm filling my time working with low income individual taxpayers. But since it means I get to sign my letters "Lindsey C. Dastrup, Esquire" it's good enough for now!

8 comments:

Clark and Liesel said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! What an accomplishment! I bet it feels great to officially have your Esquire title. You totally deserve it!

Nate and Lori said...

Ahhh, I wish that me and Reese would have gone with you. You know we would have taken at least 500 pictures. I think its awesome that you knew so young what you wanted to be. I had dreams of being a grocery store worker or a stewardess when I was little.

Tristina said...

Oh Lindsey - I am so proud of you!!

Cirina said...

Congrats Lindsey! I am so happy for you!

Christie said...

SOO happy for you Lindsey. I sure know how hard you worked toward this...and how much both you and Joe sacrificed to make it happen. Now...bring it on Max! She'll soon know Esquire was a piece of cake compared to MOM! (not exactly...but the growth you'll experience and the challenges you'll face will certainly get your attention!)

Joe, D.D.S. said...

You know that I think you are so cool already, but I'm glad you were able to realize your dream. Now if you only dreamed of making money. Haha, mommy will do.

Sheryl said...

Yahoo for you!! Congrats!! I'm sure it is so nice to have that all out of the way before this little guy comes--so soon--I cannot believe how soon you are due.

scarlett said...

Seriously, who knows in elementary school what they want to be?! I wanted to be an astronaut...but, big shocker, I turned out to be music girl! Oh wait, I was kinda already music girl. Anyways...

You work harder than anyone I know, and your sweet husband is a very close 2nd. The two of you will be unstoppable!