Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Ode to Law School

Wow it has really been a crazy 3 years. I still can hardly believe it's over. Let's back up a bit though ..... I have wanted to go to law school since before the third grade. Ever since I made up my little 8-year-old mind so long ago, I honestly don't think I ever doubted or wavered with what I wanted to do. I knew I had to find a smart, driven, and extremely tolerant guy to support me through this dream of mine and luckily I found this one:
We got married right before moving to Maryland where I took the LSAT and applied to school, so he's been with me through all of it. And by "it" I mean a completely intense, exhausting, fantastic, exhilerating, frustrating, fanatical, and extremely challenging 3 yrs. But there's next to nothing I would change about it. I was stretched to my absolute limit, but as a result I have learned and gained so much. I feel amazing! However, I don't think I could have done it without the constant support of my incredible Joe, my wonderful family and friends, and a lot of answered prayers. I'm a lucky girl.

So last Thursday night, the day before graduation, I was invited to an awards reception at the law school. I had a pretty good idea of the award I thought I'd be receiving. I have been #1 in my class throughout my 3 law school years and although I hadn't received my official rank following this last semester, my grades basically couldn't have been better so I went to the receiption feeling confident. :) Here I am with my good study-buddy waiting for the awards to begin!
That night there were close to a dozen awards being given out relating to leadership and scholarship. Finally we got to the point where the #2 and #1 students would be announced. I listened as the Dean announced the name of the #2 student and as I heard her say "Lindsey Dastrup" my underlying fear became a reality. In shock, I walked up the stairs to the podium with a my jaw clenched and head down and then pasted the biggest smile I could come up with across my face just in time to greet the Dean and turn around to face the audience. I was later told I hid any disappointment or dismay very well, but when I look at this picture I can see it loud and clear. I didn't even think to look at my family. As I walked down the stairs I remember thinking "well this is going to be embarrassing as my mom already took the liberty of posting that I was #1 on her blog." My next thought as I sat back down was: "well who the heck IS #1??"
What happened next is .... the Dean of Student Affairs approached the podium and she and the Dean had a little pow-wow. A couple minutes later the Dean announced that there had been a mistake and that "Lindsey Dastrup is actually #1 in the class." All I could think was: relief, relief, relief, relief!!! Yes ... I know deep down that being #1 vs. #2 makes absolutely NO difference for who I am and for what is important. But I also have had this goal for a long time and it would have been a bit of a blow. So I didn't get my "moment" (smiling from head to toe, finally knowing that this crazy goal I've had has actually happened) captured on camera since I was back in my seat. But I did go up again later as they announced and took pictures of the top 5 people and top 10% (around 24 people ... there were 247 people in my graduating class).
And my happiness was captured as I got to greet Joey. It sure has been a long road and he has put up with so much!
We all continued to be a little surprised by what had just transpired (here's Joe reenacting his reaction). My Dad said he was praying hard that I would hold it together and Joe was just hoping I'd be okay with the outcome. We laughed about it for the rest of the night and I really do think it makes a good story. :)
Here's Dean Cobb (the Dean who corrected things) explaining to us how the mistake was made (something about an earlier draft where she accidentally typed the #1 name first instead of second). I told her not to worry about it ... no major harm done.
Here I am with the pleased parents (who make it clear that they really don't care whether I graduate with an award or not). It was so funny because my dad had been bugging me the last couple of days to make sure I wouldn't fall apart if it turned out I was #2 (even though I wasn't even close ....). He teased me that he had to pay the Dean money to get her to do that to me.
And the happy in-laws. It was so good to have them there!

Afterward we had a little reception with drinks and hors d'oeuvres and I got to chat with a few of my favorite professors.
And we enjoyed some time in the lovely law school courtyard.

Then we had to hurry home and iron our dresses and robes for graduation the next day (I got up at 5:30 and we left the house at 6:40!). The celebrations were officially underway.

18 comments:

scarlett said...

That is so AMAZING!!!!! I have to admit that when I read your name at #2, I was like WHAT!?!? and my heart sunk for you, so I can only imagine what you were feeling. WHat a crazy emotional rollercoaster way to end a crazy emotional rollercoaster ride!

Anyway, I am so so sooooo proud of you, and of Joe. You guys are amazing!!!

You gotta come visit us. We'd LOVE to have you, and you so deserve some do-nothing-at-the-beach time!

Congrats you two!

AJ said...

Congratulations! No wonder Joe was a bachelor around finals time each year. I had no idea you were gunning for #1. That's quite a feat.

Robin said...

LINDSEY!! I'm so proud of you! There was never any doubt in my mind that you would be #1, but what a story! And I loved when you said, "if it turned out I was #2 (even though I wasn't even close ....)" Ha ha, I love you so much. Congratulations - I wish I could give you a hug! Next time I see you I will:)

Tristina said...

Wow, I can't imagine how you felt when they said #2! I am so glad they realized the mistake quickly!

Congrats again - you are amazing! Have a great vacation and we will get together when you get back!

xoxo
T

Joe, D.D.S. said...

Lindsey, you are so cool. You are welcome for all the support. Thanks for the support you gave me as well. We done it. Love you.

Rachel said...

That is a CLASSIC story! I can just picture you trying not to cry on stage...

You've worked so hard! CONGRATS! I wasn't surprised at all to hear that you were #1. That's Lindsey!

By the way, Ryan laughed out loud at the photo of Joe reenacting his shock at the announcement.

So...when are you going to come see us?

Bloom Family said...

Ah, that is quite a story! I am glad you made it through to the end #1!!! I would have made them start over and call me up again. :) Felicidades!

Kirsten Krason said...

Yay!!!!!!! It must feel so good. Congrats.

Cait and Ben said...

Lindsey - I don't think you could have a bigger smile on! It's kind of weird to say I'm proud of you but I guess that's the best way of saying it! I loved reading this because it's exactly how I imagined you telling it in person. Congrats you two - enjoy your much deserved vacation!

The Long Family said...

Congratulations to both of you!! That is such an amazing accomplishment!!

Karen said...

Great story! Congrats on the #1 - I am glad to know they will fix the goof up in the middle of the program!

bbcurfew said...

Holy cow that's the craziest story. I'm not surprised it happened to you, haha. I'm also not surprised that you are #1 - and I don't mean that to downplay how proud of/impressed by you I am!

adrienne and ryan said...

Wow! I was freaking out for you! I'm glad that ended well. Congratulations smarty pants!

Christie said...

I love my Joe and Lindsey. It was just terrific to be part of this celebration of survival! And my heart stopped too when I heard that #2! Even I felt robbed of the moment...but now life moves on. I'm so excited for you to be in this next stage.

Karen said...

Congratulations! You two are awesome. Great accomplishment for both of you.

Parkinson Family said...

SO funny Lindsey! Congratulations! Very awesome that you accomplished your dream.

Memorable Wrappers said...

At least Mr. #2 got to feel like #1 for a few seconds. That was a kind gesture on your part.

Daniel said...

That is an insane story. I would have been pissed if that happened to me. Im glad to hear that we are adding more competitive blood in our family. I think between your mom's efforts and mine, all of provo knows that you graduated #1 from law school, and that Joe is a Dr of course. Jealousy.